There’s been something eating at me lately and I’m going to just say it, because frankly…sometimes I just don’t feel like being Miss Nicey Nice.
Whether you are considered a “social media guru” or are just trying to build your base of followers up, there are several things you can do to really make yourself look like a Social Media Snob.
Warning: this may rattle a few cages. If you’re practicing any of these traits you may find an uncontrollable urge to leave a retaliatory comment. By all means, go ahead. I’d love to hear the ridiculous reasonings behind your skilled strategy.
Here are 10 traits of what I would call a Twitter Snob. You know you are a snob if:
1. You have 50k followers but you only follow 100 or so of your other snobby buddies so you can engage in your “We are the group you wish you were in” conversations.
2. You follow someone only to get them to follow you back then unfollow them to avoid looking like the spammer you are.
3. You DM someone but don’t have the courtesy to follow them back so they can respond in a DM. (Hopefully your poor minions respond with a loud @ reply letting everyone know that they can’t reply because you’ve chosen to have a one way relationship)
4. You never once visit the blog or website of those that follow or mention you to see what they are all about.
5. You Retweet any post that has your username mentioned (making sure your @username is mentioned again) rather than just thanking the person for mentioning you via a separate tweet or DM. <—-LAME-O
6. You use “protected tweets” and allow someone to follow you but don’t follow back. Seriously? Are you that cool? How very nice of you to allow someone such a privlege to view your “protected” scrolls of divine tweeting….but if you don’t want to interact, then why approve a follow?
7. You auto DM your followers to give them exclusive offers to your products that are not selling without a spambot annoying the crap out of everyone. STOP. Take the time to see if your product might even benefit your follower before spamming…maybe have a two way conversation to ask them. Wow…what a novel concept.
8. You send someone an auto DM to say you are different from the rest and promise that YOUR DM is not an auto DM. They respond to your promise with a bit of info about themselves and you never reply. Why? Because you ARE just like everyone else that sends auto DM’s only you’re worse because you are a liar too.
9. You never answer any of the @replies sent to you…unless it’s sent by someone with over 50k followers or is in your snobby buddy list.
10. You schedule tweets or hire someone to blast the Twitterverse with your blog posts from the last month without ever adding any conversation to your feed. Make that 10x worse if your blog posts are all about succeeding in social media. What is that called again? Oh, yeah…a POSER.
Okay, I am done ranting. I think.
We hear it all the time….listen, engage, interact, share…it’s what social media is all about. Yes, we can drum up business with social media marketing. Yes, we can sell products online. NO, it’s not okay to be a one way loudspeaker. In fact, it is just socially unacceptable.
Enjoy people. Let your hair down and talk, laugh, and care about others. You may even build some lasting friendships that carry over to the offline world. I guarantee you that you will find more business this way and the word of mouth referrals that come from those relationships will far outweigh the spammy crap of a Twitter snob.
Did I miss anything? What other Twitter snob traits do you find unacceptable? Share them in the comments below.
To Your Success,